Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Uses and Gratifications Theory

Blulmer & Katz
- Diversion: escape from everyday problems and routine
I don't think this applies to me much because watching a soap would be part of my routine anyway and you can't escape everyday problems just by watching Eastenders or Neighbours because they have problems as well. So either way, the problems and routine do not escape me by watching soaps.

- Personal relationships: using the media for emotional and other interaction, e.g. substituting soap operas for family life
Sometimes, the family issues that arise in soaps aren't very common on my family. For example, soaps often raise issues of things like illness, pregnancy, debt and family break ups. These kind of things don't really happen in my family so i don't substitute soap operas for family life.

- Personal Identity- Constructing their own identity from characters in media texts, and learning behaviour and values
Sometimes in films i indentify with a character in it but i wouldn't construct my own identity to be just like theirs because their identity is acted, so it's not real. For example, I seem to indetify with a character in chick flicks but i don't necessarily want to the b like them as i know that the real world doesn't exist of people in chick flicks- because their representation is very stereotypical.

- Surveillance: information gathering, e.g. educational programmes, weather reports, financial news, holiday bargains
I watch weather reports and financial news sometimes so keep up-to-date with what's happening in the world and nationally. An exampleof this is to keep up to date with the War in Iraq, football highlights and recently the whole case of the Russian spy. Therefore, Surveillance is probably the only reason of why i might consume a media text from Blulmer and Katz' list.

Denis McQuail
Information:
- Finding out about relevant events and conditions- I probably use the internet more to find out about relevant events and conditions rather than the TV. Through TV, i am aware of some events but they are not really that relevant to me. I use the radio to find out about relevant events as well.
- seeking advice- I don't personally use the TV for seeking advice but it build up my general knowledge.
- satisfying curiosity and general interest.- Through watching the News, my curioisties about certain news piece would be satisfied. This is what motivates me to watch the News. For example, i was especially interested in the Fairpack scandal.

Learning
- self- education- TV does educate me but i would watch something to be enteratined rather than to learn. Even though soaps and hospital series like Holby City, I self-learn everyday and specific things.
- confidence through gaining knowledge- I'm not motivated to watch a certain programme to gain confidence through gaining knowledge. I un-knowingly gain knowledge so it doesn't really make me more confident, just have more general knowledge. Quiz shows do this quite obviously but soaps and drama can teach you everyday things.

Personal Identity.
- finding reinforcement for personal values- I don't think this applies to my media consumption because i don't think i need reinforcement for personal values- i would have my family/friends for that.
- finding models of behvaiour- This doesn't apply to my media consumption either because it doesn't really make sense to find a model of behaviour on TV- u would ened a more realistic and approachable model to seek advice etc.
- identifying with 'celebrities'- I don' identify with celebrities but maybe the members of some of the females from indie bands just because of their "indie" look or "glamorous punk".
- gaining insight into oneself.- i dont consume media for this reason because the Tv can't exactly give you an insight into who you are, only the person themselves can.

Integration and social interaction
- gaining insight into circumstances of others- Through issues that media texts raise such as illnesses, i do gain an insight into circumstances of others who i know of that may have the same illness, for example.
- identifying with others- a sense of belonging- I dont think this applies ot my media consumption because the Tv is not a real world thing, even though soap and films sometime smale them out to be. Even in reality shows not everything that happens is put on camera so i can't feel a sense of belonging through comsuming media texts.
- finding a basis for conversation and social interaction- This applies to my media consumption because i often use programmes such as Eastenders or Big Brother as a basis of a conversation.
- having a substitute for real-life companionship- I don't think you can substitute real-life companionship for media texts. This is because you can't see someone on TV and call them your friend...because you may think you know them but they don't know you.
- having to carry out social roles- I dont think this applies to me.
- enabling one to connect with family, friends and society- this doesn't apply to my media consumption because i think it's impossible to connect with family, friends and society through consuming media texts. On the other hand, i guess yu connect with family, friends and society by watching the same programmes/films and having the same opinion.

Entertainment
- escaping, or being diverted, from problems- I don't use media texts to escape, or to be diverted, from problems. Songs are more of a likely thing to use instead.
- relaxing- I watch Tv to relax because all i usually do is watch the TV and sit on the sofa so by relaxing on the sofa, i am consuming the media.
- getting intrinsic cultural or aesthetic enjoyment- Some programmes like "life isn't all ha ha hee hee" i watched because of my intrinsic culture and the trailers attracted me mainly for that reason.
- filling time- I mostly watch TV to fill time. If i'm bored or waiting for someone/thing i'd watch TV or put on the radio.
- emotional release- Only some films caused me to have emotional release but i didn't watch the film especially to get emotional release, it was an unintended reaction.
- sexual arousal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home